Friday, June 20, 2014

Looking Back on Week 1

Week 1 of my internship accomplished, and I am glad to say, all of my body parts and organs are still intact! At the beginning of the week, I was afraid to even look up from my desk, but looking back now I think of my fear as silly. Every day, all the employees made their best efforts to talk to me and make me feel comfortable. The one part of my (old) impression of companies that was true was the employees--they're actually really cool! They make games, play foosball, and play ping pong! Most importantly, they are great friends with each other, something that makes me look forward to getting a job. While I had previously thought that nobody talked or joked with each other, I now realize that it was just the first day jitters talking. After each day, I felt that everybody started talking more and more, and the I could see the fun that everyone was having with each other. There were always stressful and frustrating times, as is the nature of  coding and debugging--but they always knew that there was a room of friends ready to help them with their work. The magic of success in the Silicon Valley is team work and close interaction with co-workers and customers.This was a great week for me--instead of just sitting around at home I was able to do something that I love and improve my skills! And of course, whenever I got tired or couldn't debug a piece of code, I could always take a quick snack break or foosball break! I feel that in just this week, I have improved as a programmer and learned a lot more techniques and efficient coding methods. I have also been sitting in at company meetings, teaching me a lot about company mechanics, hiring techniques, and how to get more business--its amazing! This is going to be a awesome experience, and as an extra perk, the company gets take out food every Friday! I cant wait for what the next two months will bring, and I cant wait to code some more!

2 comments: